Tuesday 25 February 2014

Raw Tropical Cheesecake - Gluten Free & Vegan


I eat dessert every single day. I can't help it, that's just how I roll. Luckily over the years I have experimented with a number of raw desserts which not only satisfy my sweet tooth, but are choc full (see what I did there?) of goodness and are guilt free.

Most raw cheesecake recipes will call for you to soak the nuts and seeds for at least 6 hours prior. As much as this is a pain in the ass, trust me, I have tried skipping this step and the results are shit, so learn from my mistakes and soak those nuts!

Feel free to have this cheesecake for dessert, as a snack or even for brekky! Just don't eat the whole thing in one sitting.


For this cheesecake you will need a food processor and either a round spring pie pan, or you could make individual mini cheesecakes in silicone muffin trays (using silicone pans or trays makes getting the cakes out so much easier)

For the Crust

2 cups almonds or pecans, soaked for at least 6 hours, then drained and rinsed
1 cup dried figs or pitted dates
2 pinches pink Himalayan salt
1 teaspoon maca powder
1 teaspoon agave/honey/sweetener of choice - adding this will mean the recipe is no longer completely raw

Process until crumbly, then press into base of pan or muffin trays. I find that wetting your hands first helps with this.


For the Filling

1 cup cashews or macadamias, soaked for at least 6 hours, then drained and rinsed
2 bananas/2 mangos or 1 of each
1 pinch pink Himalayan salt
zest and juice from 1 lime
1 Tablespoon coconut oil

Process the filling until smooth, then pour over the crust, cover with some baking paper and freeze for a few hours.


Top with 5 kiwis for decoration and when you are ready to serve, remove from the freezer for about 15 minutes to soften enough for you to cut.


enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment