Sunday 23 March 2014

Pampering SOS: The Pres to the Rescue


Having been a beauty therapist in a past life, I vary rarely find myself in a day spa having treatments done. The same goes for most therapists, usually because:

  1. Their time is filled with pampering other people
  2. They have access to the products so find it hard to justify spending the money when they can do it themselves
  3. It’s hard to switch off during a massage when you are critiquing someone’s technique
  4. All of the above

I definitely fall under “4”, and being a naturally anxious person, find it hard to switch off at the best of times and usually find myself thinking about my to-do list and what’s coming up in my diary during a massage.


Call him Nostradamus, but the Pres had a lightbulb moment and realised I was in need of a little R&R. Could it have been the fact I am working full time, doing makeup and lashes part time, studying for a six week course, blogging, in the process of starting an exciting new adventure  (more on this another time), exercising 6 days a week, have a busy social calendar and cook dinner every night? Possibly. But I’m sure he would say it is his razor sharp intuition that told him. Regardless, being the sweetheart he is, he surprised me with a voucher to Endota Spa Perth for some much needed pampering. I was delighted because he booked me in another time last year for some treatments and it was incredible, so I was really looking forward to it!

To me, the sign off an exceptional day spa comes down to all the little things. You know, the things they don’t have to do, but do anyway. You probably wouldn’t think much of these yourself, but when you’ve worked in the industry and been in charge of ordering, budgets and the fact that every minute of staffing has a dollar value, these little things are actually huge. For instance, once you head up the staircase and enter Endota, even though you are in the heart of the West end in the city, you feel like you have stepped into a wonderful, relaxing oasis with moody lighting and soothing tones. I was greeted warmly and allowed to kick back with a herbal tea before meeting my therapist, Nessa who led me to my treatment room.

Nessa explained the order of my treatments, what she would be doing during those treatments and what I needed to do (with regards to getting undressed/when to flip over etc). For most people, the thought of getting butt naked wearing nothing but a one size fits all disposable paper g-string (sexy) is their idea of hell, however during my salon years, between spray tans, body treatments and brazillians I have seen more naked bodies than most of the gals at Langtrees, and have become quite numb to what is a daunting experience for most. For the more of conservative types though, there was always a towel held up when I needed to flip over and my modesty was maintained throughout my treatment.

I was treated to a foot bath, foot scrub and lotion, before hoping onto the treatment bed to have a dry body scrub to increase my circulation before being covered head to toe in clay, getting wrapped up in a little cocoon and having a scalp massage. Next it was off to the shower to wash everything off, before returning to the treatment room to be slathered in cream before my facial.

Back to the little things, aside from a really beautiful treatment, these things stood out for me:

  • Nessa had the perfect balance of talking – enough so that I knew what was going on and that she cared, but didn’t chat while I was trying to get my zen on. No one wants to spend their relaxing massage hearing about how the therapists ex boyfriend gave her crabs last month.
  • Before I got up on the treatment bed, I got to choose my own aromatherapy blend to inhale throughout the treatment. Sometimes it’s really important to just stop and smell the roses. Literally.
  • My therapist had the most ridiculously soft hands, super important as it means the products she uses all day must work, and because there is nothing worse than being touched by someone with dry, scaly hands with long nails
  • The towels and linens were really great quality and felt super luxurious
  • All the products are certified organic and incorporate Australian bush essences like wild mint, lilly pilly and desert lime
  • Hot towels are used throughout the treatments, these are simply heaven
  • Most importantly, Nessa's massage technique was spot on – firm, but gentle at the same time. Perfection.
The fact that towards the end of my facial I started to nod off and I’m pretty sure even drooled on myself and/or Nessa at one point, shows that I did finally manage to switch off and zone out. HALELUJAH!

If you know someone in your life who could do with some pampering, then be an awesome friend and get them a voucher to Endota Spa for their birthday. There are Endota Spa locations across Australia, but I had the pleasure of going to 856 Hay Street Perth.

Thanks to my wonderful and thoughtful boyfriend for spoiling me yet again. Is it too soon to get another one….?

No comments:

Post a Comment